In a recent development that has gripped the nation, former NFL player Sergio Brown, who had been missing since his mother’s tragic death, is now in custody and is expected to face first-degree murder charges in connection with the killing. Here’s what we know about this unfolding case:
The Disturbing Discovery
- The story begins in the quiet Chicago suburb of Maywood, Illinois, where police issued an arrest warrant for Sergio Brown. The warrant is in connection with the murder of his 73-year-old mother, Myrtle Brown.
- The shocking discovery of Myrtle’s body in a creek on September 16 shook the community to its core. Authorities soon ruled her death as a homicide, raising many questions and concerns.
Sergio Brown’s Arrest
- Sergio Brown had been on the run, traveling to Mexico after his mother’s death. However, Mexican authorities apprehended him and later deported him to San Diego, California, where he was taken into custody.
- Currently, Brown is awaiting extradition from San Diego to Maywood, where he will face the first-degree murder charge that has captivated the nation.
A Curious Video Emerges
- Adding an intriguing twist to the case, a video surfaced on social media showing a man purportedly to be Sergio Brown in a tropical location. In the video, he discusses “fake news” and claims he thought his mother was on vacation. The video’s authenticity is still under investigation.
Family’s Plea for Justice
- Myrtle Brown’s family has been vocal in urging officials to expedite the case. They believe there is ample evidence to justify an arrest, and they are eagerly seeking closure.
- Sergio Brown’s whereabouts since his disappearance have remained unknown to the family, leaving them anxious for answers.
Sergio Brown’s Career
- Sergio Brown, aged 35, retired from professional football several years ago. He had an impressive career, playing for teams like the New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Buffalo Bills.
Challenges during Transfer
- Sergio Brown’s transfer from Mexico to the United States faced some unexpected hurdles. He caused a disturbance during the extradition flight, prompting the pilot to threaten removal.
- Eventually, he arrived in San Diego, where local and federal law enforcement took him into custody.
- Under US interstate extradition laws, a hearing may be required if a defendant does not waive extradition. This means that a court may need to approve Brown’s removal from California to Illinois.
Remembering Myrtle Brown
- Myrtle Brown’s family pays tribute to her, describing her as a caring, outgoing matriarch who left an indelible impact on their lives. They express gratitude for the support they have received in their pursuit of justice.
As the legal proceedings continue to unfold, we will diligently provide updates on this evolving and heart-wrenching story.